Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act (TVPRA)

NnitehawkK
Site Admin
Site Admin

Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act (TVPRA)

19 Jun 2018, 08:11

the Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act (TVPRA) The original Trafficking Victims Protection Act was signed into law in 2000 to address human trafficking concerns. It was subsequently reauthorized during both the Bush and Obama Administrations in 2003, 2005, 2008, and 2013. The TVPRA of 2008, signed by President Bush, responded to concerns that unaccompanied children apprehended by the Border Patrol “were not being adequately screened” for eligibility for protection or relief in the United States. The TVPRA also directed the development of procedures to ensure that if unaccompanied children are deported, they are safely repatriated. At the outset, unaccompanied children must be screened as potential victims of human trafficking. However, as described further below, procedural protections for children are different for children from contiguous countries (i.e., Mexico and Canada) and non-contiguous countries (all others). While children from non-contiguous countries are transferred to the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) for trafficking screening, and placed into formal immigration court removal proceedings, Mexican and Canadian children are screened by CBP for trafficking and, if no signs of trafficking or fear of persecution are reported, may be summarily returned home pursuant to negotiated repatriation agreements. The TVPRA in 2008 also ensured that unaccompanied alien children are exempt from certain limitations on asylum (e.g., a one-year filing deadline). It also required HHS to ensure “to the greatest extent practicable” that unaccompanied children in HHS custody have counsel, as described further below—not only “to represent them in legal proceedings,” but to “protect them from mistreatment, exploitation, and trafficking.”
thre was a varient in 1997 that was re writen in 2000 to make the screen requirments better

be;low will take you to original laws

https://polarisproject.org/current-federal-laws

ChristineC
Chatterbox
Chatterbox

Re: Trafficking Victims Protection Reauthorization Act (TVPRA)

25 Jun 2018, 10:32

Thank you for posting this.
I am Host Of "Kiss Me I'm Psychic" Weds at 12 noon STUDIO A :) (heart80)

Return to “News and Current Events”